1. How do I apply for insurance benefits?

If you are injured in a vehicle collision, there are benefits available to you from your insurance company regardless of who is at fault. Notify your insurance company within 7 days of the crash and ask them to send you accident benefits application forms. The law requires you to apply for benefits within 30 days of the collision. Although late applications are usually accepted, failing to submit a timely application can result in processing delays so you should submit your application as soon as possible.

Completing the forms requires you to provide detailed information about yourself, including a medical form from your doctor and a statement from your employer.

If you, or someone that you are dependent upon, owns or leases an automobile that is insured, you send your completed forms to your own insurance company. This automobile does not have to be involved in the crash in order for your insurer to handle the claim.

If you do not own or lease an automobile, but are listed as a driver on someone else's insurance policy, send you forms to the insurance company that issued the policy you are listed on.

If you, your spouse, or someone upon whom you are dependent do not own or lease an automobile, or you are not listed as a driver on a policy, other rules apply which can be complicated. For advice and recommendations concerning where to make applications for accident benefits, contact a personal injury lawyer.

2. What do I do if my accident benefits are cut off?

If your accident benefits have been denied, or if accidents benefits you have been receiving are cut off for any reason, you may have been unjustly denied. You should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer who will be able to advise you as to whether you are entitled to the benefits which have not been provided.

If you plan to dispute a decision by an insurance company, you must do so within two years of the insurance company's refusal to pay benefits.

In some cases, where you have sustained a personal injury that is not resolved quickly, it is a good idea to seek legal advice early on to avoid problems later. An experienced personal injury lawyer can advise you as to whether you should mediate your claim and further advise, depending on the mediation, whether you should proceed by way of arbitration or court action.


If you wish, you can attach up to 3 photos related to your injury or accident:
Human Test
Please answer the following math question…


Injury Lawyers of Ontario - Proud Member
Three Best Rated Injury Lawyer 2020
Record Reader Award Favourite Law Firm
Dietrich Law is the proud recipient of the Record Reader Awards:
Record Reader Award 2020
Gold (2020)
Record Reader Award 2019
Gold (2019)
RRA Gold Winner 2018
Gold (2018)
Record Reader Award Diamond Winner 2013
Diamond (2013)